Practical advice on writing TV scripts, novels, short stories, stage and radio plays, and screenplays.
his is a really old website which I wrote 10-15 years ago based on my own experience
of writing TV scripts - but you may find some pages still useful.
The same basic principles apply to writing stories, stage plays, screenplays, novels, radio drama, and any other fiction.
My aim was simple: to cut through all the hogwash found in many of the books around at the time on ‘How to Write’!
Writing a story doesn’t require a mountain of complex techniques.
In my experience there are some basic creativity techniques, and about half a dozen essential ingredients which create a compelling story.
The only other things you need are passion and practice.
So this site explores those half-dozen basic ingredients that feature in all good novels, plays, TV scripts and screenplays.
Additionally it passes on creative writing techniques which I was using for developing story outlines, writing scenes and so on.
Above all, the aim of the site was to be practical, with lots of advice on writing stories.
I’m pretty busy with other stuff, but one day I’ll try to update the whole site. In the meantime you may find some of these pages useful in your own writing.
Disclaimer: Please note that pages on Story Insight are my own personal opinions, and other people are likely to disagree with me! None of it should be relied upon as professional advice. All I know is how it worked for me.
(If you want to contact me, please click here.)
Support this site
You can easily support the development of this site by visiting this page just before you buy from Amazon.
There are displays of Amazon's book recommendations in page margins - and if there's nothing there which you'd like, just click on this link and you can browse their entire stock, for both UK and USA visitors.
Every time you buy from Amazon, just visit this page first and use these links, and you'll be supporting this site!
- The Golden Rules. Essential advice for story writers if you want to stay sane.
- Writer’s Appetite. The essential quality that makes good story writing stand out from all the rest.
Writing a Story
Writing for Different Media
- BBC Checklist for TV Scripts. An extremely useful checklist of ingredients for writing good TV scripts and other stories.
- BBC Notes on Radio. Some of the best guidelines on how to write radio plays I’ve ever come across.
- Aspects of the Novel (E M Forster). Summary of a book by successful novelist E M Forster in which he discusses the craft of writing stories.
The Business of Writing
- Breaking into Script Writing. To become a professional TV script writer (or any other kind of fiction writer) you start at the bottom and work up.
- Networking for Writers. A dozen ideas on how to network successfully and build your career as a professional writer.
- Script Layout. An introduction to standard script layout for screenplays, TV and radio plays.